Links to hi-fi and electronics articles, shopping and more.
If you’re looking for links to sites I like about hi-fi, electronics parts shopping, and cool YouTube channels, look no further.
- The Liquid Audio YouTube channel – for hi-fi repair videos, restorations and extra stuff I haven’t put here.
- The Vintage Knob – a great place for the specs and stories behind classic hi-fi gear.
- Vinyl Engine – the home of the turntable and features databases, forums and manuals for everything turntable-related.
- HiFi Engine – a treasure trove of hi-fi equipment information.
- Tapeheads.Net – THE place to go for enthusiasts of cassette tape and cassette decks.
- Hoppe’s Brain – for ADCOM repairs, restorations and new boards.
- Stereophile – still one of the best magazines for hi-fi enthusiasts
- Classic Audio – another great vintage audio website.
- Audio Classic – a new website looking at classic audio gear.
- I’m often asked how I started out in electronics. I started, at 9 or 10, with several smaller electronics sets, building up to a Tandy 200-in-1 electronics set. I moved on to build many of the Dick Smith Electronics Fun Way 1 and 2 kits.
- The Signal Path – one of my favourite technical YouTube channels, run by the very talented engineer Shahriar Shahramian.
- bigclivedotcom – Big Clive is an electrician who loves to tear down everything from Christmas lights to hot water systems.
- EEVBlog – Dave Jones is an Aussie EE who makes great videos about electronics, test and measurement gear and debunks BS.
- Techmoan – excellent UK YouTuber making videos about old and obsolete electronics and sound.
- Dick Smith Funway Volume 1 – how many Aussies got into electronics.
- Dick Smith Funway Volume 2 – after building all the volume 1 kits, I built all of these!
Electronic Parts Shopping
- Digikey – a major US supplier
- Element14 – an oldie but a goodie, wish they were still Farnell…
- Mouser – my favourite electronics parts supplier
- RS Components – still good for the odd thing you can’t find elsewhere, and free shipping on any sized order!
- Altronics – a solid and useful local supplier with average-quality parts but a broad range of stock, great staff and no BS.
- Jaycar – the last resort…
- Audiogon – online hi-fi marketplace.
- Stereo.net – an Australian forum that aggregates news and discussion about the latest hi-fi gear plus a great marketplace.